- Job Type: Full-Time
- Company Website: http://www.Click2apply.net/zj9pyptt5txtr42d
- City: New York City
- State: New York
- Country: United States
Quanta Magazine seeks an experienced, all-purpose senior editor to assign and edit science and math articles and assist in managing our small, growing newsroom. In addition to news and feature editing, the senior editor will oversee the work of freelance writers, copy editors and fact checkers, and write and review display copy as well as language for associated infographics.
The ideal candidate will have substantial science news and feature editing as well as copy editing experience and be an accomplished wordsmith and master stylist with impeccable news judgment. We are looking for a deft, detail-oriented manager and a diehard advocate for the highest standards in journalistic ethics and scientific accuracy.
This full-time position reports to the editor-in-chief and is based at the Simons Foundation offices in New York City.
- At least five years’ experience as a science editor for an established news organization.
- Experience supervising the work of other writers, copy editors and fact checkers, as well as the ability to attract top-notch freelancers.
- Must be comfortable editing feature-length articles under web deadlines and be fluent in the best print editing standards and online conventions.
- Must have copy editing and display copy writing experience, be detail-oriented and organized, and demonstrate mastery of the highest standards of written English.
- Must be comfortable working for a digital publication and be knowledgeable about best practices in SEO and social media. Candidates who come from a print background must have some familiarity, however derived, with online culture and how it functions.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Must be an excellent communicator and team player, and have the ability to coordinate publication schedules and manage relationships with freelancers and partner organizations.
- Some content management system experience, specifically WordPress, is desirable, as is basic familiarity with Web metrics.
- Experience and comfort with social media and social media platforms, customs and strategies.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in this position.
- At least five editing samples (with edits tracked).
- Three references.
Quanta Magazine is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by the Simons Foundation to enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. Quanta has syndication partnerships with Wired, The Atlantic, Scientific American, The Washington Post and other publications, has published two books (Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire and The Prime Number Conspiracy) and our articles have been translated into several languages.
The Simons Foundation’s Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/zj9pyptt5txtr42d