- Company: Gatehouse Media
- Contact email: email@example.com
- State: Missouri
- Country: United States
The Missouri State Editor will lead the GateHouse Media newsrooms in the state, as well as the Columbia Daily Tribune newsroom, located in the vibrant town of Columbia, home of University of Missouri, one of the leading journalism programs in the country. This editor will develop systems of collaboration with journalist in markets that range from rural to suburban. We are looking for someone with vision, passion for strong journalism and experience as an editor, ideally in a regional capacity, plus the ability to inspire and grow the journalists throughout the state.
The Missouri State Editor leads newsrooms throughout the state of Missouri, driving audience growth at the Columbia Daily Tribune and throughout the state. The state editor serves as a coach and project manager. They are focused on driving results, growing audience and seeking best practices. This agile thinker will be focused on high-interest, high-engagement journalism with an entrepreneurial spirit. They will change newsroom culture from passive to progressive.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Serves as the editor for the news operations, overseeing staff at the local level in Columbia.
- Supports and drives GateHouse Media’s news initiatives.
- Develops and maintains strategies and specific content initiatives to promote audience growth, working with other newsroom leaders throughout the state of Missouri and throughout GateHouse Media to assess successes and identify challenges through audience metrics.
- Initiates and directs special projects for their newsrooms.
- Communicates with other department heads to further editorial mission.
- Demonstrates news judgment and initiative to produce community-based stories beyond meeting and event coverage.
- Leads community engagement efforts.
- Implements strategies that will provide operational efficiencies, promote cooperation and expand shared resources among newsrooms.
- Provides editorial guidance and content; works with other leaders to develop cost and revenue strategies that advance profitability.
- Develops and expands digital footprint for news operations, including monitoring practices and submissions required for GateHouse’s internal quarterly evaluation, Inner Circle.
- Improves selection of syndicated and other shared content, ensuring optimal use of GateHouse-provided content.
- Serves as principal contact for any legal and ethical considerations that may arise regarding news operations.
- Looks for partnership opportunities to enhance news coverage.
- Coordinates staff training efforts and provides coaching for staff members; promotes staff development and monitors possible opportunities for advancement within GateHouse.
- Works with news operation managers and human-resources staff to resolve any disciplinary problems, and ensures compliance with all HR policies and procedures.
- Consistently meets deadline and budget requirements.
- Posts daily (either social media or website) with the expectation to meet minimum goals set.
- Identifies digital goals, working with the regional editor, to achieve audience growth on team and/or individual levels.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must have good communication skills to deal effectively with internal and external customers
- Excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling and AP style
- Ability to react quickly to new developments and exercise judgement.
- Ability to juggle multiple stories and deadlines
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA degree in journalism or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience in supervision/management role
- Other combinations of education and experience may be considered
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org