- Contact Name: Jay Small
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- State: Michigan
- Country: United States
Chief Innovation Officer
The Chief Innovation Officer will manage select projects in Accelerate Local, LMA’s our business model accelerator, and contribute strategically to others; lead or participate on teams that plan programs for key LMA conferences and experiential learning programs such as Chief Digital Clubs and Innovation Missions; and contribute to overall LMA operations, communications, fundraising, member service and industry support.
Jay Small, Chief Operations Officer, and Jed Williams, Chief Strategy Officer (on Accelerate Local effort)
Key elements of the job:
Lead program planner and facilitator: (Approximately 40% of time) The Chief Innovation Officer will lead planning and delivery of these LMA programs.
• Chief Digital Clubs: Four groups of media company digital executives, roughly 12-15 members each, who meet by video conference every month to exchange ideas and case studies on digital revenue and product strategies, or hear from subject-matter experts relevant to their key responsibilities. LMA also produces occasional in-person CDC meetings on important topics, usually aligned with conference events. The Chief Innovation Officer would lead planning for the calls and in-person events, recruit discussion leaders from inside and outside the groups, manage all communications with CDC members, and identify and recruit new members to CDC.
• Conference events: The association produces 4-5 major conference events per year, itself or in partnership with other industry associations and organizations. The Chief Innovation Officer will lead or participate on teams that develop and facilitate conference programming, including identifying topics, recruiting speakers/panelists, and managing communications and speaker logistics.
• Innovation Missions: The association produces up to four Innovation Missions per year, typically one per quarter. Innovation Missions are 3- to 5-day experiential learning trips for cohorts of typically 12-15 attendees, often themed on top strategic issues for local media (ex., consumer revenue, branded content, media transformation, tech platform relationships). The Chief Innovation Officer would lead or participate on teams that develop and facilitate these programs before, during and after the missions.
Accelerate Local project manager and specialist: (Approximately 50% of time) Our Accelerate Local initiative is a business model accelerator with a mission to reinvent business models that support local news and journalism. The Chief Innovation Officer will manage select Accelerate Local projects directly, and participate in planning and facilitating others in concert with the Chief Strategy Officer and Chief Operating Officer. This may include visits to project participants’ locations for information gathering or delivery of project components, coordinating in-person or virtual stakeholder meetings and agendas, working with R&D companies and research firms, and writing and editing project reports.
LMA operations specialist: (Approximately 10% of time) As with most leadership roles in LMA, the Chief Innovation Officer will contribute subject-matter expertise and work effort to all LMA initiatives and continuing operations. In addition to Accelerate Local and LMA learning programs, this may include marketing communications efforts, fundraising programs, member support and outreach, industry support and outreach, routine engagement with our board members and other staff, and maintenance of our digital content assets.
• Significant experience as a digital executive or senior manager in the local media industry, or comparable roles. Your experience should be sufficient to be seen as a capable leader and representative of LMA’s mission for important, strategic conversations, such as those in Chief Digital Clubs and LMA events. Strong digital leadership background preferred.
Strong experience and skill sets in project/product management, including: developing and maintaining project/product roadmaps, phases and priorities; managing and communicating effectively with stakeholders; managing tasks to tight timelines; leading collaborative brainstorming/ideation; and achieving consensus among disparate interest groups. Technical project management certifications are less important than demonstrated success leading projects and product lifecycles.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver compelling and useful presentations, write or edit reports, lead group discussions and video/audio conferences.
• Strong customer/member service mindset and commitment to our mission to find sustainable business models for the future of local news.
• Well versed in common digital platforms (web, social, mobile, video/audio conferencing, email) and officeware programs (MS Office and/or GSuite).
• Willingness to travel, up to 10-12 weeks per year.
• Ability and willingness to “get your hands dirty.” We are a small team with a flat organization structure, so every LMA job includes both strategic leadership and hands-on work across every aspect of the organization.
How to apply:
Please send the following by Friday, Jan. 17 to Jay Small, Chief Operating Officer, LMA, at email@example.com:
• Your résumé
• A cover letter briefly describing your qualifications, relevant accomplishments and reasons for interest in this position.
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: E&P Classified Manager
- Member Since: September 18, 2014
Other items listed by E&P Classified Manager
- Wanted: News reporter for The Nome Nugget
- Full-Time Outdoors Editor
- Data & Analytics Specialist
- Vice President – Information Technology
- Prepress Operator