North Carolina - Lumberton
Ad Posted On:
Monday, January 14, 2013
Monday, February 18, 2013
Director of Pagination - Copy Editing
About the Job
Director of Pagination & Copy Editing – Lumberton (NC) and Miamisburg (OH) Hubs
Civitas Media is searching for innovative leaders at their Lumberton, NC and Miamisburg, OH Pagination-Copy Editing Hubs. The Directors of Pagination & Copy Editing will oversee key departments with multi-publication responsibility that are both growing and evolving. These positions offer unique opportunities for the right individuals with proven management experience and diverse skill sets to join an emerging leader in the community newspaper industry.
About Civitas Media
Versa Capital Management, LLC (Versa), a private equity investment firm, has announced the creation of Civitas Media, LLC (Civitas), a new community news media company. Civitas, Latin for “community” or “citizen”, combines four media entities owned by Versa: Freedom Central, Heartland Publications, Impressions Media, and Ohio Community Media.
Civitas, which now employs 1,650 people at 99 locations across 12 states in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and South, serves its communities through its dedication to the delivery of local information, including news and advertising solutions, across a variety of platforms. These communities are served by 35 local daily newspapers including 28 with weekend editions as well as 63 weekly products. These papers have a combined average weekly circulation of 1.6 million. Civitas also serves these communities with numerous free, advertisement supported publications and a growing on-line presence. In addition, Civitas publishes specialty products such as local community directories, wine magazines, regional agricultural publications, realty publications, local entertainment guides and on-line magazines and SEO solutions.
• Five (5)+ years in a managerial role that includes staff oversight and human resource capabilities
• Proven leadership experience in newspaper layout design and copy editing
• A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communication or Mass Media, or a relevant combination of education and experience
• Proven experience in leadership and training
• The ability to maintain editing accuracy while meeting all scheduled deadlines
• Experience with NewsEngin and InDesign strongly preferred
Key job functions include
• Ensure your team paginates pages that are graphically interesting by selecting and placing stories based on superior editorial judgment while still meeting all set deadlines.
• Review edited stories, whether yours or your staff’s, for grammar, syntax and spelling, content and style. Write appropriate headlines. Occasionally build simple charts and graphs.
• Develop and maintain a review process to ensure our products maintain the highest possible quality.
• Develop and maintain a training process that insures new department employees achieve company performance goals with a specified time while maintain high quality.
• Communicate effectively with editors not on site using telephone, email or instant messaging.
• Provide effective, clear leadership at all times maintaining a high morale level among staff members.
Please be prepared to provide examples of work along with references.
If interested, please forward resume and references to (no phone calls, please):
2175 Roberts Avenue
Lumberton, NC 28358
Attn: Peter Fleming – Regional Dir. of Operations