About the Job
You have a voice like no other, a passion for the written word and a love for your community. Yeah, you have the training and experience too, but most importantly you have your finger on the pulse of your community, and you entertain your readers with wit, intelligence and relevance. That's what we want too.
Yellow Scene Magazine has always been driven by Voice — it sets us apart from the pack and wins us accolades, it gives us mad game. Our current editor, who has shaped the Yellow Scene voice for the last 4 years, is leaving us, and we are looking for someone to pick up where she left off. She leaves behind a string of accomplishments, including 12 Colorado Society of Professional Journalists awards and being named as a finalist for 10 Maggie awards in three years. Thanks to the powerful editorial legacy at Yellow Scene, we've garnered respect in the community and gained an advantage against our competitors. As an independently owned publication, the tremendous contributions of our talented editors have allowed us to overcome the hardships of an economic downturn, and their contributions have made our staff extraordinarily proud of where they work—from the sales department to designers to our administrative team. Basically, our content is a big deal.
Position:? Yellow Scene’s editor is responsible for:
• Overseeing the creation of a compelling monthly read — as well as websites and social media — that includes locally relevant news, lifestyle pieces, contextual features and commentary, as well as entertainment, restaurant and food coverage.
• Hiring and managing a crew of freelancers, bloggers, interns and photographers.
• Reporting and writing for magazines and websites—covering everything from education and politics to trends, fashion, camps, architecture and weddings—with a strong, playful voice.
• Working with the art department to ensure design and layouts reflect editorial content.
• Ensuring Yellow Scene’s calendar, food section, regular and special sections are comprehensive, relevant and engaging.
• Managing the deadline process, copyediting, dummying the magazine, etc.
Skills:? Talented wordsmith;? editorially flexible; visually oriented; digitally savvy; social media proficient; and positive attitude, sense of humor, ability to handle difficult deadlines, overtime and stress.
Experience with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Wordpress a plus.Our chosen candidate will be hired in a training capacity until the first of the year, when our current editor departs. At that time, he or she will take on the role as editor.
Salary for the Editor ranges from $47,000-$50,000 once the transition is complete. Email resume, cover letter and writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Attn: Shavonne Blades?. Resumes without a cover letter and writing samples will not be considered.
About:? Yellow Scene Magazine is a general interest, local publication that covers Boulder County and the North Metro Area of Colorado with 70,000 copies that are distributed to homes and businesses. In recent years, we’ve added additional titles under the Yellow Scene brand, including Home&Hood, which covers local architecture, design, landscaping/gardens and neighborhoods; as well as Colorado Brides to Colorado Babies, a bi-annual dual magazine that covers weddings on one side and families on the other. We are known for contextual, smart, entertaining and engaging coverage of our diverse, highly active, highly educated highly engaged readership.
NOTE - Please see Ad Description for special instructions on how to apply.