- Name: Shenandoah Briere
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 3154024174
- City: Baldwinsville
- State: New York
- Country: United States
- Listed: October 27, 2017 1:52 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
To adequately explore newsworthy topics and communicate them to a broader audience. To ensure that readers are getting the truth to every story.
Work HistoryIntern | Oswego County Today | Sept. 2017- Present
- Took information provided by organizations to write previews of events for future publication
- Reported on several events and contributed to community relations by speaking to individuals at events
- Formulated news topics to be written about by searching for relatable topics to cover in Oswego County
Chief Copy Editor | The Oswegonian |Aug. 2017- Present
- Provided knowledge of AP style to ensure adequate writing for articles
- Helped editors craft their InDesign layouts for improved readership
- Enhanced writing technique using constructive criticism
Intern | The Alumni Association, SUNY Oswego | May 2017- Aug. 2017
- Assisted with development of alumni relations
- Actively worked alongside coworkers doing various projects to ensure Alumni Weekend progressed smoothly
- Maintained office by answering phone, working on scholarship thank you notes and a multitude of other projects
Editorial Intern | The Alumni Association, SUNY Oswego | Feb. 2017- May 2017
- Writing and editing for the monthly publication of the Lake Effect and Parent newsletter and tri-annual Alumni Magazine
- Proof-read and fact-checked articles to ensure correct information is provided
- Worked with a communications team in a professional setting and learned how to develop better story-telling and speaking techniques
Opinion Editor | The Oswegonian | April 2016- April 2017
- Designed section layout for publication using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Wrote various articles related to campus and national news
Produced a weekly rundown of relevant topics for writers
BA Journalism • Dec. 16, 2017 • SUNY Oswego
Minor in Public Justice
Cumulative GPA: 3.84
AffliationsChief Copy Editor, The Oswegonian and Intern, Oswego County Today
Cover LetterI am looking for a reporting, copy editing or editorial job for when I graduate in December. During my time spent at Oswego I have written, copy edited and helped with the design and layout of the only student-run newspaper on campus. I have also been an intern for the Alumni and Development office on campus working to build relationships between students and alumni. I was also the opinion editor at The Oswegonian before becoming the Chief Copy Editor this semester. I am currently an intern for Oswego County Today as well.
All of these positions have only made me a better writer and in general, journalist. I have learned more from having these different positions then I have sitting in a classroom. The hands-on experience has taught me how to find sources, how to get the answers to questions I have, how to write on deadline and how to put together a section. It has been a great experience filled with meaningful stories and many hours spent listening to interviews and going to events. It was and will always be worth it though as I continue to grow as a journalist.
Since arriving as a student at Oswego State, I have also been working in the Telecommunications Department as a telecom assistant. This job has taught me more about being a good communicator especially to prospective students and former alumni. I will take the same communication skills garnered from this job and apply them to future interviews for articles. While, working at all of my jobs, present and past, I have built long lasting work relationships that contribute to the overall outcome of both interviews and articles. These same skills can also be applied to strengthen relationships between students and alumni by enabling for more communication and interaction between them.
When people think of journalism the first thing that should come to mind is seeking out the truth and reporting it well enough for readers to understand what is happening in their community. This is what all journalist should strive to do and something that I have prided myself in doing. As journalist we must continue to build community relations, while ensuring that people know what is happening and why it is happening. The field of journalism is not always the easiest, but it is needed.
Thank you for taking your time to read this letter. I hope to hear from you in the next coming weeks. Feel free to contact me by phone at (315) 402-4174 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.