- Name: Bill Cummings
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (949) 293-0280
- City: Sale
- State: Oregon
- Country: United States
- Listed: August 8, 2016 11:39 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Looking to put my extensive experience with business development and execution in the media space to work. I build team, purpose, increased moral and most important, increased sales. My ad agency experience allows me to transfer my “quick to understand” skills in all settings. My newspaper experience allows be to deliver field tested, proven techniques. From increase market share in over all performance to the Digital Transformation, adoption of CRM or delivering the best in class for a Best Of program, I have the experience necessary to deliver. I have experience from metro markets like Denver, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis and Boston to the smallest of markets like Sedalia MO, Destin FL and Marysville CA.
Work HistoryTHE DOLAN COMPANY, July 2014 – May 2016
Vice President, Sales & Marketing
Interim Publisher, Finance & Commerce, Minnesota Lawyer & Capital Report
Publisher, Wisconsin Law Journal & The Daily Reporter
Publisher, Michigan Lawyer’s Weekly
Publisher, Idaho Business Review
The Dolan Company – Minneapolis, MN
- Executive Leadership: Chosen as the first VP of Sales & Marketing for national niche publisher of business, legal and special event producer for The Dolan Company; Report directly to CEO.
- Mentoring & Coaching: Oversee development and improvement of Publishers and Advertising Directors across all markets.
- National Content Management: Originate content from 15 locations: Baltimore MD, Boise ID, Boston MA, Charlotte NC, Detroit MI, Long Island NY, Milwaukee WI, Minneapolis MN, New Orleans LA, Oklahoma City, Phoenix AZ, Portland OR, Richmond VA, Rochester NY, and St. Louis MO.
- Major Revenue Growth: In first 5 months, tripled EBITDA performance; held accountability for $48M in revenue influence.
- Continuous Improvement: Led digital re-launch, budgeting, performance gap planning, hiring and re-staffing organization.
- Merger & Acquisition Support: Integral part of management team that successfully sold publishing division to New Media Investment Group.
STATESMAN JOURNAL NEWSPAPER, Salem, OR 2012-Present
Sr. Director of Advertising (SVP Level)
- Business Administration: Oversaw and optimized $14.3M+ budget, complex product launches, sales planning, and marketing & sales leadership.
- Financial Oversight: Accountable for chief revenue officer responsibilities, leading turnaround for channels outside local control.
- Brand Management: Drove sales, product design, and Oregon’s capital city website ensuring accuracy, proper placement, and aesthetically pleasing advertising.
- Team Management: Led a staff of 50 in sales and product design and implementation for the Statesman Journal, the daily newspaper and website for Oregon’s capital city.
- Technology Integration: Led department-wide adoption of SalesForce.com.
- Revenue Influence: recreated “Best Of” program that first year 150% over budget with a 60% ROI. Continues to deliver YOY revenue gains of 20%-30% with same costs.
FREEDOM COMMUNICATIONS, Irvine, CA 2008-2012
Sr. Director, Advertising (SVP Level)
- Leadership: Promoted to oversee all sales and product in December 2008, directly managing sales force of two national managers and 40 individual markets.
- Marketing Strategy: Subject matter expert in classifieds, overseeing all classified verticals for the company and establishing vision, sales strategies and market deliverables.
- Market Penetration: Rolled out 40+ real estate websites in under 10 months. Rolled out new automotive platform roll out to 30 markets.
- Category Innovation: Spearheaded comprehensive reworking of automotive category and the private party or “other” categories including legal, obits and private party.
DENVER NEWSPAPER AGENCY, Denver, CO 2007-2008
Director, Real Estate Advertising
- Transformative Leadership: Redesigned Rental and Real Estate Online platforms, weekend sections, provided yearly budgets, produced pricing strategies, and established new business acquisition.
- Relationship Management: Established relationships with eight associations of realtors, MLS Corporation, and Home Builder’s Association ensuring relationships were strong with periodic communication and interest.
- Achievements: Increased profit margins by 60% to 90% by launching a real estate niche product that better served the realtor marketplace.
THE FRESNO BEE, Fresno, CA, Real Estate Sales Manager 2003-2007
SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY AIR POLLUTION CONTROL DISTRICT, Fresno, CA, Public Relations Specialist 2003-2003
LONDON PROPERTIES, LTD., Fresno, CA, Vice President, Sales & Marketing 2002-2003
THE MADISON AVENUE GROUP, INC., Fresno, CA, President & CEO, Creative Director 1983-2002
SUN STEREO CORPORATION, Fresno, CA | Phoenix, AZ, Creative Director, Media Strategist 1980-1983
EducationUNIVERSITY OF MONTANA
Master of Business Administration, (Business Management), 2003
Bachelor of Arts (Marketing Management), 1997
AffliationsCharles Horn Award, Western Classified Advertising Association, 2013
ACME Award, Newspaper Association of America, New Home Magazine, Real Estate Category, 2007
“Rising Elite” Recognition, Newspaper Association of America, 2007
Other awards: Numerous local and national advertising awards, including the ADDY’S for Best Self Promotion, Best Television Campaign, Best Sales Film/Video Presentation and Best Four Color Newsletter Design.
Past Chair, Western Classified Advertising Association / Northwest School System
Past Member, The American Lung Association of California Governing Board,
The National Apartment Association Board, and Family’s Together
Featured Speaker and Consultant, Creative Thinking, Modernizing Media, Strategy & Imagery
The Newspaper Association of America, National Apartment Association, California Association of Realtors, California State University, Fresno and the Small Business Development Center in Fresno and Bakersfield
Cover LetterPlease consider the following highlights from my resume:
- Sales & Marketing Management – Throughout my career, I have built a reputation for driving revenue growth for national publications, including within my most recent role as Vice President, Sales & Marketing for The Dolan Company.
- Areas of Expertise – My specialties include multimillion-dollar budget management, team leadership, relationship building, program optimization, advertising, classifieds and market penetration.
- Communications – Engaging and constructive, I am focused on building positive relationships with customers, stakeholders, peers, direct reports and all levels of operational leadership.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss how I can fulfill the unique characteristics of this position. In the interim, I thank you for reviewing this letter and the accompanying material.