- Name: Robert Wall
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 630-882-8563
- City: Yorkville
- State: Illinois
- Country: United States
- Listed: July 19, 2016 7:44 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
Publishing and sales executive with diverse experience in developing strategic initiatives to optimize revenue and to increase circulation and market share and while reducing expenses during soft market climates. Background includes expertise in sales leadership and training, margin management, financial analysis, and newspaper publishing. Proven record of revenue achievement, staff development and new business growth.
- Publisher, senior newspaper leadership.
- Sales, sales management, sales training.
- Staff leadership and development.
- Relationship Building.
- Financial analysis, forecasting.
- Productivity enhancement, commission design.
- Multiple platform selling
- Multi site management
Work HistoryProfessional Experience
SHAW MEDIA, privately held multi-media company with more than 100 newspapers and websites in Illinois and Iowa. (November 2012 to April 2016)
Regional Publisher South Region, The Herald-News (Joliet, IL), The Morris (IL) Herald-News, Record Newspapers (April 2015 to April 2016). Promoted to the senior leadership role of two daily and five weekly newspapers.
- Project Manager for the July 2015 acquisition of The Record Newspapers. Lead the transition to Shaw ownership and assumed Publisher role with the change of ownership.
- Attained and surpassed net operating income and revenue profit plans for the new publications and legacy titles.
- Facilitated the acquisition of The Herald-News from the Sun-Times, January 2014 and assumed the role General Manager with the change of ownership.
- The Herald-News exceeded all expectations by surpassing Net Operating Income goals for seven consecutive quarters.
- Project leader for the March 2015 transition for the Morris Daily Herald from mail delivery to carrier delivery made possible by the acquisition of the Herald-News. At the same time the name was changed to Morris Herald-News, readers received a Morris zoned version of the Herald-News on Sunday and Monday was added.
- As General Manager lead 2013 the transition of the Morris Daily Herald from broadsheet to tab format and the transition from independent contractor carriers to mail delivery.
GATEHOUSE MEDIA, provider of local news and advertising in small and medium size markets in the US. Assets include 90 daily newspapers, 289 weekly newspapers and 250 locally focused websites. (May 2011 to November 2012).
Regional Advertising Director, GateHouse Southern Illinois (November 2011 to November 2012). Promoted to the position of advertising director for 23 GateHouse Media titles in Southern Illinois with the goal of executing the transition of a sales staff of 33 in 9 sales offices from product-centric print sellers into regional multi-media account executives.
- Designed and implemented a new regional advertising organization focused on selling the complete digital and print portfolio of websites and titles in Southern Illinois.
- Introduced and conducted training on solution based selling.
- Facilitated the Blinder sales program in the region generating more than $150,000 in incremental digital revenue.
- Increased revenue by 10% by developing a new multiple product rate structure to facilitate selling multiple products to fit advertiser needs.
SUN TIMES MEDIA, a newspaper publisher whose assets include The Chicago Sun-Times and a large number of daily and community newspapers in the Chicago area. (1999-2011)
Publisher, Vice President Advertising, West Region, Aurora, IL, (November 2009 to January 2011).
Promoted to the Regional Publisher role in addition to retaining the senior leadership role in advertising to achieve an average 25% publisher’s margin for four daily newspapers and 12 weekly publications and to achieve $10.5 million goal for four sales offices and $24 million in revenue for the region.
Vice President, Advertising, West Division, Aurora, IL, (March 2009 to November 2009).
Promoted to senior leadership role in the west division to achieve $14 million revenue goal for four sales offices in Aurora, Joliet, Naperville and Elgin and to attain $36 million revenue budget for four daily newspapers, 12 weeklies and one shopper.
Publisher, The Courier News, Elgin, IL, (January 2006 to May 2008).
Appointed to the senior leadership role of The Courier News, a daily paper in Elgin to attain budgeted revenue, exceed profit margin and direct the 57 member editorial and advertising departments through a period of transition.
EducationBachelor of Science, Journalism, Bradley University, Peoria, IL.
Graduate Work, public relations, Northern Illinois University, De Kalb, IL.
Director, Board of Directors Will County (IL) Center of Economic DevelopmentDirector, Board of Directors, Grundy County Chamber of CommerceDirector, Board of Directors, Heritage Corridor Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Director, Board of Directors, Morris (IL) Downtown Development Partnership
Cover LetterI am a goal oriented highly motivated publisher and advertising sales leader with demonstrated ability to develop and implement sales strategies to maximize market share and sales growth, recognized for ability to build, guide and sustain superior sales teams with a customer focused approach.
- A solid record of print and digital revenue growth including meeting or exceeding net operating and revenue goals in diverse properties and websites ranging from regional daily newspapers to small daily and weekly publications.
- A continued record of “growing the bottom line” with seven consecutive quarters meeting or exceeding Net Operating Income expectations after the acquisition of a regional newspaper and similar results with the acquisition of a group of weeklies.
- Experience in department management with several media companies: Senior Leadership and publishing roles in Shaw Media, Gatehouse Media and Sun-Times Media. Sales leadership roles in diverse newspaper cultures including Shaw Media, Gatehouse Media, Sun-Times Media, Gannett, and Copley Newspapers.
- A record of professional growth with increasing responsibly; sales leadership roles including Advertising Manager, Classified Manager, Advertising Director and Regional Vice President of Advertising. Publishing and senior leadership roles including Publisher, Group Publisher and Regional Publisher.
- Demonstrated leadership in local community: Director, Board of Directors, Will County (IL) Center for Economic Development; Director, Board of Directors, Grundy County Chamber of Commerce; Director, Board of Directors, Heritage Corridor Convention and Visitors Bureau; Director, Board of Directors, Morris (IL) Downtown Development Partnership.