- Name: Norreida Reyes
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 518-477-0281
- City: Ballston Lake
- State: New York
- Country: United States
- Listed: January 4, 2017 2:46 pm
- Expires: This ad has expired
To obtain a senior-level communications or newsroom position that would utilize my talent for repackaging complex information to create an engaging, mutually informative relationship between my employer and lay audiences. Willing to relocate anywhere on the East Coast.
Work HistoryCommunications Experience: 7+ years Newsroom Manager, Saratoga TODAY April 2015 – Present Sole Proprietor, Thinkwellspring Communications November 2010 – Present Public Relations Specialist, Ed Lewi Associates June 2011 – February 2013 Director of Multi-Media, Office of the NYS Senate Majority Leader September 2009 – October 2010
- Leadership: Developed internal and external communications strategies, facilitating implementation across teams; worked in leadership team developing overall campaign messaging; handled crises communications; established media relationships in print, broadcast, online and trade outlets; liaison between VIP and external agencies; managed a team of 2 reporters and 6 freelancers; strategized newspaper editorial calendar and news content.
- Public engagement: Provided spokesperson services to a Senate Majority Leader and the Sierra Club Atlantic Chapter on radio, television, and town hall meetings. Prepared VIPs for public presentations. Coordinated press conferences, cause marketing campaigns, virtual town hall, and other community Developed/presented workshops.
- Writing, editing: Wrote and edited speeches; hearing testimony; talking points; bi-weekly television addresses; annual reports; newsletters; mass mailings; and internal briefs and memos. Researched, wrote and pitched press releases and statements. Identified, researched, wrote and edited news stories for weekly newspaper with a distribution of 10,500 readers. Editing examples: summarized a 600-page Medicare contract with New York City into a half-page table; edited a campaign of mass-mailed cards, speeches, and press releases for message consistency, keyword usage, as well as flow, grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Social media: Wrote web content, including: blogs; e- newsletters; website updates; and social media posts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Foursquare, Pinterest, WordPress, Blogger, Instagram, Yelp, Wikipedia, and Google +. Created and managed online advertisements; tracked social media trends. Rolled out an e-campaign resulting in 11k e-letters sent to the NYS Legislature in inaugural letter campaign.
Public Policy Experience: 11+ years Legislative/Budget Analyst, NYS Senate Majority Coalition Leader February 2013 – October 2014 Conservation Director, Sierra Club Atlantic Chapter February 2008 – April 2009 Education Policy Analyst, Charter Schools Institute, Research Foundation September 2004 – April 2006 Public Policy Analyst, Fiscal Research Policy Analysis, State Comptroller October 1999 – May 2001 Legislative Policy Analyst, Education, NYS Assembly Central Staff February 1996 – October 1999
- Issue area expertise: social services; crime; juvenile justice; women's issues; children and families; health care; mental health; gambling and substance abuse; environment; education; higher education; aging; and local governments.
- Budget: Lead representative of the Independent Democratic Conference in budget negotiations with the Governor's office, NYS Assembly & NYS Senate counterparts regarding billion in operations and programs for more than 700 school districts.
- Campaigns/lobbying: represented 40k Sierra Club members, elected officials, and candidates to media and other elected officials; developed legislative strategy; conferred with allies; facilitated coalition-building; coordinated grassroots organizing plans; mobilized stakeholders; assisted with canvassing, literature drops, and phone banking. Advised development and execution of fundraising campaigns, including letters, donor development, and events. Represented Sierra Club to the NYS Energy Planning Board and as a member of the working group of the NYS Governor's Environmental Justice Interagency Task Force.
- Public policy/budget analysis: identified, developed, tracked; researched, analyzed, summarized, and drafted proposed legislation and NYS budget proposals.
- Public policy development: proposed, researched and wrote public policy reports and internal memos leading to new legislation. Met with executive, agency, and legislative leaders and staff. Gathered information from stakeholders and other resources. For example: reviewed and analyzed charter school applications, accountability plans, and annual reports. Conducted on-site school visits, reviewing classroom procedures, curriculum, and regulatory compliance. Tracked NYS Education Department Board of Regents proposals and concerns; assisted in Regents selection process. Also, worked with the State University of New York Board of Trustees.
- Constituent and stakeholder services: represented elected leadership in meetings; walked laypersons through the legislative process; provided information to constituents and stakeholders; resolved local district concerns.
- Office management: As Sierra Club director and Senate supervisory back up to both Chief of Staff and Press Director: managed staff, interns, and volunteers. Tracked and ordered office resources. Resolved internal and external conflicts as they arose. Provided team building and training. Gathered and maintained confidential client and personnel information.
EducationBA, University at Albany, 1995, cum laude, Psychology and Religious Studies (World Cultures concentration)
AffliationsBoard Member: National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, NY Capital Region Office Worked with board members and volunteers on developing and coordinating annual gala raising k; managed social media content; assisted with long-term strategy for the organization’s future.
Cover LetterOf all the lessons learned as a result of 2016, I believe the most important involves listening. It is clear that wide swaths of the American population do not feel they are being heard, and in a nation as widely diverse as we are, it is necessary to serve a large dollop of listening on any dish fed to the public. As a communications professional, I will balance what my employer wants to say with what audiences need most to hear - that the news outlet, elected official, business or nonprofit that employs me is listening. I will use my facilitative, persuasive style to pull together an efficient, harmonious team to express a mission in an engaging, compelling manner. It is through storytelling - with thoughtful, precise editing - that readers realize their roles in maintaining the arts, addressing rising healthcare costs, supporting public safety, and contributing to the local economy - which all lead to increased readership, votes, funds, or sales. As the newsroom manager for a local weekly in Saratoga Springs, it has been my privilege to tell the stories of residents and visitors in a community inundated with international attention every summer. I spent the last 20 years in and out of the NYS Legislature analyzing public policy and communicating it, most recently as a journalist. I have worked for two NYS Senate Majority Leaders, a Speaker of the NYS Assembly, a NYS Comptroller, various advocates, a public relations firm and an independently owned hometown newspaper. I am highly accountable, and handle sensitive information with discretion and confidence. I am also mindful of hard-won resources with a firm commitment to fiscal responsibility and compliance. I am team-oriented, handle crisis communications with aplomb, and have a talent for repackaging highly complicated information for the lay public. Most of all, I am a writer, and fortunate to be doing the work I love. Thank you for considering me for a leadership position in news or communications. Sincerely, Norra (Norreida) Reyes