The State Media is a part of McClatchy, a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life/balance and consistent opportunities for growth. The State was the only South Carolina newspaper awarded the Triple Crown by the Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE) for Sunday and special sections and digital sports coverage. Members of The State’s newsroom received more than two dozen first-place awards in the annual newspaper contest of the South Carolina Press Association, with an emphasis on photography, page design and coverage of elections, politics, sports, food, entertainment, the military and education.
Seeking an experienced journalist to join us in building a major component of The State’s future. We’re looking for a driven leader who will be excited about helping us become a video-first news team, focused on delivering video experiences that connect with existing and new audiences.
The video and visuals editor will lead the visual journalism efforts across the newsroom and within the visuals staff, leading efforts to build and sustain a video-first culture, improve video story-telling skills and techniques and develop and execute strategies to meet video audience goals. The video editor plays a vital role in ensuring that video is a major part of the daily and long-term coverage plans around key topic areas through a combination of original and aggregated content.
- Use data and audience understanding to guide short-term and long-term video strategies.
- Assign and direct daily and long-term multimedia (video and photo) stories.
- Oversee daily video aggregation, curation and promotion efforts, prioritizing placement within our stories and on social media.
- Lead training sessions on video best practices and production for reporters and editors.
- Communicate regularly with central Video Lab team on audience goals and video quality.
- Pay close attention daily to real-time analytics to determine video possibilities.
- Generate ideas for videos that appeal across platforms for multiple audiences.
- Pitch video stories to relevant third-parties for embed, social, promotional consideration.
We’re looking for a leader with at least 5 years of digital journalism experience, a background in video production, leadership experience and a strong sense of news judgment.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of post-offer drug and background screenings. We offer a competitive salary, along with a varied benefits package, including, Medical, Dental, Vision coverage, LiveWell, Life Insurance, 401(k) Savings Plan, vacation, sick leave and company holidays. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer.