The Capital Journal is seeking a reporter to cover the South Dakota state capitol in Pierre SD.
The successful candidate will have experience in covering political affairs, state and or federal government. The Capital Journal will syndicate this work to newspapers throughout the state.
The position responsibilities will include the following:
- Lead the bureau in providing comprehensive day-to-day coverage of South Dakota’s state government.
- Monitor and report on the actions taken by the state’s boards and commissions during their meetings.
- Monitor and report on the day to day work being done in state government departments. The emphasis will be on how policy is devised in the board and commission meetings is being implemented and how those policies are affecting the people and businesses of the state.
- Enterprise coverage on big issues facing state government. For example, what is the effect of the state Department of Revenue’s inability to find and hire enough auditors.
- Provide comprehensive coverage of the state legislature. The state legislative session runs from mid-January to early March every year.
- Cover legislative summer study committees, the executive board, the Rules Review Committee and other committees that meet periodically throughout the year.
- Provide leadership and mentorship for Capitol Bureau reporting interns
- Assign and edit stories for Capitol Bureau reporting interns
- Act as the Capital Journal newsroom’s second-in-command
Send your resume and samples of your work related to government and political affairs to:
Nick Lowrey, Managing Editor of the Capital Journal, mailto:email@example.com.
The Capital Journal is part of the Wick Communications group of newspapers. Wick Communications provides employees a comprehensive suite of pay and benefits. Visit the company website at www.wickcommunications.com.