DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and maintain websites using server side technologies such as the Python programming language, the Django Framework and PostgreSQL database.
- Administer a Linux based server infrastructure.
- Respond to technical issues by troubleshooting, fixing and deploying code on short notice
- Build web-based tools that help our journalists to better tell their stories.
- Share knowledge of internet techniques and technologies with staff.
- Train and support staff on best ways to use our internal tools and other web technologies.
- Format web pages using HTML & CSS.
- Perform above tasks in a Windows, Mac or Linux environment.
- Work with graphics designers to create great-looking and practical designs for digital products.
- Work with newsroom management to create manageable workflows for daily, weekly and long term projects that have a digital emphasis.
- Work with newsroom management and designers to create special sections and features as needed to fulfill our newsroom strategies.
- Always be learning new skills that help our newsroom with its digital missions.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- 2+ years experience with Django.
- Intermediate Proficiency in the Python programming language.
- Intermediate Proficiency with HTML/CSS/JS/AJAX.
- Demonstrated aptitude and intermediate-expert proficiency in creating, maintaining and troubleshooting applications created using the Django framework.
- Basic-Intermediate proficiency with relational databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Basic-Intermediate proficiency with revision control tools such as Git.
- Basic ability with Linux.
- Basic proficiency with network technologies such as TCP/IP, SSL, SSH.
- Proficient in use of Newsgate and Django content management systems.
- High-level understanding of Google Analytics.
- Intermediate proficiency in setting up and maintaining secure and scalable Linux systems using technologies such as Docker, Amazon AWS, Ansible, Nagios, etc.
- As is the case with being a part of a news organization, the ability to work in adverse conditions and with unusual schedules when news breaks.
- Must understand and uphold the standards, ethics and mission of journalism at The Spokesman-Review on all platforms.
- Premium on organizational skills, ability to meet changing deadlines as news changes, deal with multiple assignments at once, keep supervisors abreast of developments, and work with other newsroom members on projects and daily stories.
- Read The Spokesman-Review, both in print and online, and stay current with all relative news sources.
- Have a positive attitude that cultivates a sense of camaraderie and chemistry in our newsroom that helps us not only achieve our goals, but exceed them. This positivity is essential as we focus on helping our newspaper go forward with strategies aimed at our longtime survival. This is essential.
- Be an active and positive participant in planning meetings and foster a creative and collaborative.
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism in representing The Spokesman-Review, always striving for fairness and accuracy.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, CIS (Computer Information Services); or a comparable degree.
- Journalism experience preferred
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. List the job title in the subject line. Or drop off your cover letter and resume at The Spokesman-Review building at 999 West Riverside Ave. Spokane, WA. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Drug & background check required on those selected for hire.