The Cape Cod Times is seeking a talented journalist for a key role in our award-winning newsroom.
The ideal candidate is a born leader who has strong writing and editing skills, experience leading enterprise projects, an innovative spirit, and is equally comfortable working on print and digital. The News Editor oversees news editors, reporters and photographers while working closely with other departments to produce top-shelf journalism in a wide variety of forms for a multitude of platforms. It is a hard, but rewarding job that wields significant influence in the newsroom and in the community.
Cape Cod is an interesting community to cover, with a year-round population largely comprised of college-educated retirees but with layers of diversity in age, race and socio-economic status. Tourism is the dominant industry and the face of the Cape changes significantly in the summer and shoulder seasons.
Job expectations include:
- Working with the Executive Editor and other newsroom editors in developing and implementing news strategies.
- Having strong organizational and communication skills.
- Having hands-on experience editing stories on deadline and contributing to large-scale editorial projects.
- Working closely with digital team in analyzing data and formulating strategies for audience growth.
- Tracking and evaluate team and individual performance and lead training efforts to develop staff.
- Having the ability to be both decisive and collaborative.
- Upholding the highest standards of content quality and journalism ethics.
Four-year college degree in journalism or related field, at least three years’ supervisory experience and fluency with various aspects of digital media.
If you are an enthusiastic believer in the future of journalism, enjoy working hard while having fun, and excel when working with others, we are looking for you. Send a letter of interest, resume and work samples to email@example.com with “NEWS EDITOR” in the subject line.