The Times Mail is seeking a hands-on leader to oversee news operations. The managing editor must be able to plan daily coverage, coach and motivate staff, lead the transition to digital and demonstrate writing and reporting ability. The successful candidate will be committed to community journalism and comfortable interacting with readers and community leaders in Bedford and surrounding areas in southern Indiana.
- Manage the news department operations
- Plan, assign, and edit news stories daily
- Must be able to make editorial judgments on tight deadlines
- Report and copy edit stories on deadline.
- Manage and coach newsroom staff, approve timecards, disciplinary procedures, perform job evaluations, make hiring decisions.
- Attend weekly department head meetings
- Lead daily staff meetings and assign stories for daily paper
- Interact with the community and co-workers on a regular basis
- Responsible for newsroom budget, expense control
- Help set editorial policy
- Work with other company managers on cross-departmental strategies, product development and overall projects
- Write editorials
- Serve on editorial board
This position offers a full range of benefits, including group health & dental insurance, 401(k) program with company match, generous PTO, company funded short and long term disability, and more.
The Times Mail is a subsidiary of Schurz Communications. At Schurz, we invest in you, always striving for continuous growth and development in an effort to meet the needs and wants of readers, listeners, viewers, users, and advertisers. Our company’s strength mirrors the strength of our communities. We support our local communities as a good corporate citizen and encourage active involvement.
We are committed to providing an environment that gives our employees the opportunity to achieve their potential. We believe that talented and dedicated employees have made our company successful in the past and are the hope of the future.
We value our reputation for honesty and fairness. Our credibility and integrity will never be sacrificed to achieve other objectives.