- Job Type: Full-Time
- Salary: 100k or above
- Company: University of Missouri
- Company Website: http://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/academic/index.php
- Contact Name: Mike McKean
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- City: Columbia
- State: Missouri
- Country: United States
- Zip/Postal Code: 65211
Build the future, teach the future of news editing
Are you an experienced newsroom professional who is leading the digital transformation and eager to see what’s next? Are you ready to launch a new generation of journalists? Then we’re interested in you. We are the Missouri School of Journalism, the world’s journalism school, and we are currently seeking an outstanding editor to serve as our endowed Knight Chair in Digital Editing and Producing. You’ll play a key role in the newsroom of the Columbia Missourian, one of the nation’s first daily newspapers and part of the famous “Missouri Method” where students learn by doing in a 24/7 digital and print news environment.
Is this the right job for you? The answer is yes if you:
- Recognize great stories and shape content to ensure that it’s compelling and informative
- Manage and prioritize the growing list of tasks that editors are involved with, from writing multiple headlines to making sure a text alert is delivered
- Collaborate across workgroup boundaries to get things done
- Emphasize accuracy, fairness and integrity in all aspects of journalism
- Understand the importance of engaging with readers, listeners and viewers
- Value and take responsibility for working with diverse communities.
You don’t need to have formal teaching experience, but a passion for editing, as well as for developing the next generation of journalists, is required. This is one of ten endowed chairs at the school of journalism and the only one focused on the art and science of editing, which like many things in journalism is undergoing great change. You’ll be part of a skilled and focused faculty and also have opportunities to collaborate with world-renowned agencies that are headquartered at the school, such as Investigative Reporters and Editors, the National Institute for Computer Assisted Reporting and the American Society of News Editors.
This renewable, benefit-eligible, nine-month faculty position carries the academic rank of Professional Practice Professor (non-tenure track), and will serve as the Knight Chair in Digital Editing and Producing.
- At least ten year of journalism experience, with a national reputation and evidence of significant journalistic work in the areas of digital editing and producing
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
Please visit the MU’s Human Resources website (hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/academic) to access the online application system. Please reference job number 24964. Required application materials are a resume, a cover letter that includes your vision for the Chair, and a list of at least three references. Applications must be made online and will not be considered without all application materials. Review of applications will begin in February 2018 and continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date for the position is fall 2018. Deadline for priority review is January 20, 2018.
For questions, please contact Mike McKean, Search Committee Chair, at email@example.com.
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
To request ADA accommodations, please contact the Office of Accessibility and ADA Education at 573-884-7278 or CheekA@missouri.edu.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled and Veteran Employer
Information about the ad poster
- Listed by: paganom
- Member Since: December 18, 2017
Other items listed by paganom
- Executive Editor of the Columbia Missourian and Missouri Community Newspaper Management Chair/Professional Practice Professor