- Contact email: email@example.com
Mid-Atlantic Media, a fast-growing publisher of community and ethnic titles, including Baltimore Jewish Times and Washington Jewish Week, is looking for an editor to join its stable of award-winning journalists.
We’re looking for a “can-do” manager who can work through copious amounts of copy and serve as a mentor to up-and-coming talent. A take-charge leader who can also take direction from senior management, a go-getter who can field reader complaints and staff concerns, who will do so with a smile and will come back for more. The ability to juggle multiple projects, the willingness to help shape multiple publications and online experience is a must. Occasional travel will be expected. Familiarity with the Jewish community is a plus.
This is a high-energy position and comes with the ability to shape how tens of thousands of people across several states digest news and features.
- Minimum 4 years of community news experience
- An ability to write and edit quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong people skills and an ability to manage and motivate a team
- Technical aptitude, including comfort with WordPress, Photoshop, Mac systems and digital photography
- Ability and willingness to wear many hats, from high-level editorial strategy down to shoe-leather journalism and in-person community engagement
- Travel is involved.
- Assignment editor – Help our writers uncover local scoops, select stories for coverage, create a rundown and communicate with officials, sources and readers. Monitor email and social media for story ideas and trends.
- Copy editor – Regularly check and correct our reporters’ copy for errors, awkward phrasing, verbosity and un-engaging wording. Uphold AP Style and our house style.
- Team leader – Set high editorial standards and motivate your team to produce compelling, accurate community and national journalism that wins followers and makes a difference. When needed, you will lead by example, reporting stories yourself and assisting with breaking news coverage.
- Editorial strategist – Engage with the community and help spread the word about our sites and our journalism. Work closely with the editorial director and publishers to plan execute further growth. Also, assist the editorial director with company-wide editorial initiatives.
- Problem solver – Diagnose and help to resolve minor technical problems. Ensure continuity during employee off days.
Please email a cover letter explaining why you are the right person for the job and emphasizing your problem-solving experience, clips of recent work and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org