The San Francisco Media Company, an award-winning newspaper group covering the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond, seeks an experienced Editor-in-Chief (EIC) to lead its editorial staff.
The EIC will oversee all editorial aspects of the SF Examiner and SF Weekly operations, including four print editions per week (Wednesday, twice on Thursday, Sunday) and daily digital coverage. The EIC will set the tone and direction for the editorial department.
Daily EIC responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing SFMCeditorial teams: assigning journalists to stories, establishing production schedules, addressing publication and organizational challenges to improve the quality of news coverage.
- Formulating SFMCeditorial policy: planning, coordinating and directing editorial activities. Networking with stakeholders and community members to expand our publications’ footprint in the Bay Area.
- Working closely with SF Examinersection editors and reporters to ensure timely, comprehensive coverage; implementing creative strategies to grow print and online readership; Establishing and adhering to financial budgets. Writing stories and editorials as needed.
- Managing SF Weeklyeditorial operations, including supervising its editor, a full-time staff and freelance contributors; and establishing and adhering to financial budgets.
- Providing guidance and mentoring toall SFMC editorial staff to produce fast, accurate, hard hitting local news.
- The ideal EIC will have at least 10 years of newsroom experience (exceptional candidates with less will be considered) and 5 years of management experience.
We offer a competitive salary package with benefits.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org interested candidates are encouraged to apply quickly as we are interviewing immediately.