The Herald Times, located in Bloomington, Indiana, is seeking a hands-on leader to oversee news operations for its award winning publication. The Editor must be able to plan daily coverage, coach and motivate staff, lead the transition to digital and demonstrate writing and reporting ability. The successful candidate will be committed to community journalism and comfortable interacting with readers and community leaders.
* Ability to collaborate with multiple departments to produce a quality daily newspaper
* Develop and oversee the news content, plan content and coverage schedules
* Make quick decisions on deadline in a professional manner
* Troubleshoot issues and develop strategies for improvement
* Ensure that deadlines are met for the press starts
* Manage financial aspects of the department
* Supervise and review direct reports
* Mentoring staff and encouraging continuing improvement
* Liaison between community members and reporters via phone, e-mail or in person
* Develop strategies to grow readership
* Succinct writing, proofing and editing skills with a strong drive for accuracy and attention to detail
* Responsible for writing editorials
*Must be able to prepare a budget and adhere to budget
*Hire employees and assist with disciplinary procedures
Our parent company, Schurz Communications, Inc,. is committed to providing an environment that gives each employee the opportunity to nurture their gifts and achieve their potential. Our mission is to pass community journalism on to the next generations of customers, employees, communities, and owners an organization that is even stronger and better than what it is today.
Schurz Communications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.