- Job Type: Full-Time
- Salary: Up to 80k
- Company: Mid-Atlantic Media
- Company Website: Mid-Atlantic Media
- Contact Name: Craig Burke
- Contact email: email@example.com
- City: Rockville
- State: Maryland
- Country: United States
- Zip/Postal Code: 20852
Mid-Atlantic Media, a fast-growing publisher of niche community and ethnic titles, including Baltimore Jewish Times and Washington Jewish Week, is looking to add an editor to lead a stable of award-winning journalists.
We’re looking for a multi-tasking leader who can work through copious amounts of copy and serve as a mentor to develop up-and-coming talent. The ability to juggle multiple projects, and the willingness to help shape multiple publications and their online experience is a must. Occasional travel will be expected. Familiarity with the Jewish community is a plus.
This is a high-energy position and comes with the ability to shape how tens of thousands of people across Baltimore, DC, Pennsylvania and Arizona metro areas digest news and features.
- Minimum 5 years of community news experience
- An ability to edit quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong people skills and an ability to manage and motivate a team
- Technical aptitude, including comfort with WordPress, Photoshop, and digital photography
- Ability and willingness to wear many hats, from high-level editorial strategy down to shoe-leather journalism and in-person community engagement
- Assignment editor – Help our writers uncover local scoops, select stories for coverage, create a rundown and communicate with officials, sources and readers. Monitor email and social media for story ideas and trends.
- Copy editor – Regularly check and correct our reporters’ copy for errors, awkward phrasing, verbosity and un-engaging wording. Uphold AP Style and our house style.
- Team leader – Set high editorial standards and motivate the teams to produce compelling, accurate community and national journalism that wins followers and makes a difference. When needed, editorial director will lead by example, reporting stories themself and assisting with breaking news coverage.
- Editorial strategist – Engage with the community and help spread the word about our sites and our journalism. Work closely with the publishers to plan and execute further growth. Also, assist other management with company-wide editorial initiatives.
- Problem solver – Diagnose and help to resolve minor technical problems. Ensure continuity during employee off days.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.