- Job Type: Full-Time
- Company: Daily Hampshire Gazette
- Company Website: Daily Hampshire Gazette
- Contact Name: Michael Rifanburg
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Phone: 413-585-5335
- City: Northampton
- State: Massachusetts
- Country: United States
- Zip/Postal Code: 01060
The editor for the Daily Hampshire Gazette will be a forward thinking editor with a passion for local news, community leadership, and the competitive spirit to grow audience with a mix of daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly print and digital products in Western Massachusetts. This is the top editorial leadership position at the Gazette and requires strong writing and editing skills as well as a strong working knowledge of how to drive the development of content for our audiences across multiple platforms including our websites, mobile apps, social media channels, and our print products. We have a team of editors, reporters and photographers that produces award-winning products and has a strong commitment to community journalism. The Daily Hampshire Gazette, our largest newspaper in Massachusetts, was named Newspaper of the Year in two of the last three years by the New England Newspaper and Press Association.
- Lead, coach and develop newsroom team to achieve subscription growth across digital and print platforms.
- Serve as a key member of the editorial board and help shape the editorial voice of the newspaper
- Ensure the maintenance of high journalistic standards on a daily basis.
- Manage newsroom budget for maximum efficiency and strongest results.
- Serve as the newspaper’s public face in our communities.
- Work with leaders across departments to develop new products that grow our audiences and reach in the market.
- Use of web analytics tools to grow site traffic as well as in development of stories.
- Application of SEO research and best practices to stories, sections and projects.
- Work collaboratively on projects ranging from podcasts to video to enterprise stories.
- Managing and growing media brand social media audiences on Facebook and Twitter as well as exploring other platforms including LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Five or more years editorial management experience.
- Strong writing, editing organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of video and audio platforms.
- Proven success using Google Analytics or other enterprise analytics solutions to drive content decisions.
- Demonstrated experience using Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms for professional purposes.
- Understanding of and experiencing applying SEO best practices to web content.
- Rabid enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Understanding of digital and print workflows and deadline requirements.
- A strong understanding of communications law.
- Bachelor’s degree.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the best ways to present news on all platforms – a digital leader with unique ideas for our print products. This position requires an effective leader with a history of attracting and retaining the best talent, while challenging existing staff. It is important that the editor have an excellent record of producing strong community journalism. The position requires a journalism or related degree, 5+ years of experience in newsroom management, exceptional editing skills, and knowledge of newsroom budgeting.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced journalism executive who seeks new challenges where skills and abilities will be utilized to their fullest.
The Daily Hampshire Gazette is owned by Newspapers of New England, a family-owned company with a commitment to serious community journalism. We offer competitive pay, paid vacation and personal days and benefits including optional health insurance, dental coverage and 401K retirement plan. We are an equal opportunity employer. Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.