- Job Type: Full-Time
- Salary: Up to 100k
- Company: OwnLocal
- Company Website: http://www.ownlocal.com/
- City: Austin
- State: Texas
- Country: United States
- Zip/Postal Code: 78701
Director of Sales, Newspapers
OwnLocal is a fun, focused, rapidly growing Austin-area startup with a mission to help local media companies — like newspapers, TV and Radio stations — survive and grow in the digital age. Our software automatically converts traditional offline advertising into powerful online marketing campaigns. OwnLocal works with almost 3000 local media partners across North America, Europe, and Australia to power digital marketing services for small business advertisers.
We’re backed by Y Combinator, 500 Startups, and many other respected SV and ATX investors. We’re profitable, have excellent product market fit, and have big plans to change the face of local advertising.
You are a very experienced sales leader who is deeply familiar with the newspaper industry. You are an intense but consultative seller with strong analytical and communication skills. You’re a leading expert in the newspaper industry, who understands the historical and trending characteristics of the landscape. You are an experienced and talented sales trainer that understands multiple training philosophies and can command a room of 2 or 200. You also have experience selling digital media and possess a keen ability to navigate your way through complex organizations. You’re main goal is to make genuine connections with senior and C-level decision makers.
Here are some things you’ll do every day:
- Lead and manage a team of enterprise account executives
- Develop your team to be more effective and efficient at converting leads into partners
- Provide consistent and developmental coaching, training and support to the sales team
- Provide domain knowledge and valuable insights into the mind of newspaper employees at all levels of the organization
- Perform demos and help close major accounts hand-in-hand with your team
- Take responsibility for performance of the entire newspaper sales cycle from demo to close
You should probably apply if you meet these minimum requirements:
- 5-7 years of sales experience
- 3+ years of sales management experience in the newspaper industry
- You must have been hired into a sales management position at least once
- You have a verifiable track record of successful sales leadership
- You have deep newspaper industry knowledge
- You are an entrepreneurial, hands-on leader with an ownership mentality
You should absolutely apply if the following applies to you:
- You thrive on competition, never turn down a challenge, and are obsessed with winning
- You are a self motivated servant leader
- You are highly organized
- You radiate optimism and excel in stressful situations
- You have quality connections in the media industry
- You are the best sales manager that you know
About OwnLocal Culture
OwnLocal has a culture of ownership, humor, and mastery. Our team is small enough to allow you to see how your work affects the bottom line, and large enough to be stable. We appreciate that work schedules can be personal, but we very much value the time we spend together as a team. You’re an adult and we treat you like one.
We like to experiment. We’re proud to make mistakes (but more proud of our successes). We’re always improving. One of our least favorite phrases is, “That’s how it’s always been done.” We encourage a inquisitive and curious spirit at OwnLocal, knowing that the only certainty is change.
About Our Sales Team Culture
Our sales team is a tight knit group that genuinely cares for one another and operates with purpose and passion. We come from an array of sales backgrounds but all at our core the same principle: to help each other be the best people we can be and become the best in the world at what we do.
We are a group of almost unhealthy competitive hunters that manage to have fun while operating with intense urgency. We welcome challenge and thrive on success. No two days are the same as OwnLocal is growing incredibly fast. Problem solving, critical thinking, sales and proactive action are in our DNA. We’re looking for someone to help us evolve from good to great to legendary.
This position offers a base salary of $70,000 – $90,000 per year, depending on experience, with OTE up to $150K. The role includes company stock options. We do not accept any emails or phone calls about this position.
We’re looking to fill this role immediately.
ARE YOU STILL HERE? APPLY NOW!
Yeah, we do competitive salaries, 100% paid medical / dental coverage, free life insurance, and blah, blah… please.
We’ll spare you… Here are the benefits you won’t see from the other guys:
- The best office space in Austin, TX.
Our brand new office is very purposefully located near all of the downtown staples. Think Handlebar, The Backspace, and Medici.
- 24×7 stocked kitchen + free lunch.
As if free catered daily lunch wasn’t enough, we provide all of the snacks, local beer, coffee, Topo Chico, and Redbull you’ll ever need!
- Team fitness challenges.
Free mandatory Fitbit. Track your results, compete with your team, and win cash prizes. This is not a drill.
- Free starbucks coffee.
Like coffee? So do we. Howard Schultz went to the trouble of putting a Starbucks on every corner, so why fight it? Anywhere in America, we’ve got you covered.
- Free car2go anywhere in Austin, TX.
We’re making it even easier to get around town.
- Unlimited vacation.
100% open vacation policy. Seriously. Take time off when you need to, and come back refreshed and ready to work. In addition, we also have quarterly company off-site meetings.
- But wait! There’s more.
We know how to have fun. Team outings, continuing education, and company events are an important part of our culture. Our team members love Harry Potter, sports, pinball, and everything in between. No matter what your thing is, you’ll have a place at OwnLocal.