- Street: 999 W Riverside Ave
- City: Spokane
- State: Washington
- Country: United States
- Zip/Postal Code: 99201
The Spokesman-Review is the most used and most trusted news and information provider in the Inland Northwest. We’ve served the community for over a century by providing up to date, accurate information on news and events taking place right outside your backdoor. In the last decade, there have been numerous changes to the way the public obtains their news. The Spokesman-Review has been innovative and diligent in staying relevant with new methods to ensure continued service to our customers.
We are currently recruiting for a Director of Operations. This position directs the commercial print sales and all production-related operations, including pre-press, pressroom, packaging center and production maintenance. The ideal candidate will have a passion for print media, be creative and forward thinking in the development and execution of their responsibilities, and have an overall commitment to the continued success of the paper.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build, manage and review the department’s budget to meet revenue goals and the annual allocation for expenses and payroll flows.
- Identify opportunities for new commercial print sales; analyze, build, and manage sales and service team for profitability.
- Manage initial estimate through final job plan process, including scheduling, production, shipping and receiving.
- Supervise a team of manages to meet/exceed departmental goals and sales targets.
- Establish overall production goals with department managers consistent with established manufacturing and safety procedures.
- Establish department expectations, development opportunities, evaluate and review department and department managers’ performance.
- Hire, train, develop, evaluate and counsel staff members. Work with Human Resources to ensure compliance with State, Federal, local and labor contracts; correct action is completed in a timely manner and in accordance with company policy.
- Direct the establishment, implementation and maintenance of production standards.
- Research and recommend new capital equipment purchases when necessary.
- Serve as the lead operation member for negotiation on three production labor contracts; manage communication and ensure administration of current contracts.
- Develop and implement procedures for continuous process improvement within score of responsibilities.
Qualifications, Skills and Requirements
- Progressive experience and demonstrable knowledge of management capabilities in manufacturing, sales and warehouse environments.
- Excellent team building and collaborative skills.
- Able to communicate effectively with internal and external customers.
- Have a thorough knowledge of budgetary information, management, and overall department’s financial impact on business and business decisions. Candidate will be able to demonstrate.
- Experience leading and directing the print job planning process.
- Prior collective bargaining agreement experience as a member of the negotiation team.
- Progressive knowledge and skills with team building and performance management.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access).
- Qualified candidates will have a college degree with 5 years related work experience/training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The position is full-time. Compensation depends on experience ($90,000-$120,000), with bonus potential. In addition, the position offers benefits which include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, vacation, paid sick days, and an exceptional matching 401k.
Please apply online at https://careers.cowlesco.com or you may apply in person between 8:30 am – 3:30 pm at The Spokesman-Review building at 999 West Riverside Ave. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Drug & background check required on those selected for hire. Background check includes driving records. Position open until filled.