The State Media is a part of McClatchy, a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life/balance and consistent opportunities for growth. The State was the only South Carolina newspaper awarded the Triple Crown by the Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE) for Sunday and special sections and digital sports coverage. Members of The State’s newsroom received more than two dozen first-place awards in the annual newspaper contest of the South Carolina Press Association. We are seeking a skilled leader who can identify a great story and knows how to help a writer get and tell it. Audience Editor will have the reader-engagement skills of a strong social media editor; the statistical knowledge of an analytics expert; and the coaching skills of a collaborative leader. Responsibilities:
- Lead, direct, collaborate with and coach throughout the newsroom
- Excellent news judgement, strong editing and writing skills that help shape our journalism and get in front of readers.
- Build audience
- Deep understanding of social media engagement
- Lead expert and coach using analytics to inform our journalism
- Help staff build real-time reporting
- Lead learning execution of every tool for building audience, including urgency, story choices, visuals, headlines, analytics, SEO and social media.
Education and Knowledge
- College degree required
- Minimum five years of digital news experience required
- Fluency with analytics and how to apply them
- An eye and ear for headlines that sell a story
- Proven record of driving readership through Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms